I’m honestly surprised I haven’t flown through Dallas Love Airport more. Living in Austin, I fly through DFW all the time. Dallas Love and I have only crossed paths two times though, which is disappointing because besides the lack of water fill-up stations, I like this airport. Crisp, clean, and bright with large windows and fun shops. But seriously, get some water stations.
While the Dunkin’ Donuts or Paciugo Gelato may be tempting, I’ve rounded up a few healthy alternatives while passing through Dallas Love Airport:
Cool River Cafe
Sit down, kick back and enjoy a leisurely meal at Cool River Cafe. They offer standard, slightly upscale fare such as an Ahi Tuna appetizer and steaks. While the food itself isn’t anything award-winning, it’s one of the healthiest (and only) sit-down restaurant options at Dallas Love with a to-go section as well.
- Three Egg Omelet: With choice of fresh ingredients, ask for fruit on the side instead of potatoes & toast ($10.99)
- Cool Breakfast: Yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit. A to-go version is also available ($9.55)
- Ahi Tuna: Crusted in black pepper and seared, served with wasabi slaw ($14.95)
- T.B.L.A.S.T: Turkey, bacon, lettuce, avocado, Swiss, & tomato. I get this without bread and just wrap everything up in the turkey or make it into a sort of salad! Can also get to-go ($12.95)
- Pommeray Salmon: With pommeray mustard cream sauce and shiitake wild rice. Ask for sauce on the side and seasonal vegetables instead of rice ($18.95)
- Peppadew Chicken: Spicy pepper-peach glaze with genesee greens ($18.95)
None of the pre-made salads or sandwiches looked very appealing to me, but there are a couple snack choices.
- Cheese & Fruit Plate: Brie & cheddar cheese, red grapes, crackers, fresh strawberry. Not the healthiest but it’s an easy, small snack that would pair well with in-flight wine
- Kind Bar: An airport staple, not as ridiculously priced here as I’ve seen elsewhere ($2.29)
Located in Concession Village
Can’t leave Texas without some Mexican! Get your fix before heading out with a nice sit-down meal. None of their breakfast items seemed to be very healthy, but the steak and eggs dish is worth mentioning if you’re looking for a lot of protein. Their lunch/dinner menu has a couple more options.
- Asada y Huevos: Grilled steak with marinated onions and chimichurri sauce, served with two eggs with guajillo sauce ($13.99)
Lunch / Dinner
- Ensalada De Espinaca y Pollo: Tender chicken, red onion, mushrooms, roasted almonds, queso fresco, raspberry-chipotle dressing ($11.99)
- Pollo Chipotle: Grilled chicken breast topped with chipotle-wine sauce and melted jack cheese. Request no cheese ($12.49)
- Fajitas: Opt for the chicken ($16.99)
Located across from Gate 6
Merci La Madeleine for some yummy to-go food! Although Cool River Cafe and Cantina Laredo are good sit-down options, sometimes you just really gotta grab & go. La Madeleine has a to-go refrigerator and also makes fresh food fast for those of you in a rush.
- Custom Omelette: Choose any 3 – spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers, swiss, cheddar, bacon, chicken, sausage, ham ($8.29, additional ingredients $0.89 each)
- Oatmeal: With two toppings – blueberries, strawberries, pecans, almonds, raisins, or brown sugar ($4.59)
- Yogurt Parfait: Low-fat vanilla yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, muesli ($4.99)
- Muesli & Strawberries ($4.99)
Lunch / Dinner
- Chicken Spinach Salad: Chicken, spinach, mushrooms, roasted pecans, bacon, red bell peppers, strawberries, balsamic vinaigrette ($9.89)
- Chicken la Madeleine: Chicken with mushroom sauce served with rice provencal and steamed broccoli. Opt for no rice ($9.39)
Located next to Gate 6
The airport food & drink staple makes its appearance in two locations at Dallas Love. I will probably include Starbucks on every healthy eats at an airport list, but it’s just too good to pass up. Stay away from those Pumpkin Spice Lattes and heavy Frappuccinos though, and choose an Americano or Cold Brew coffee. For food I like the: Hearty Blueberry Whole-Grain Oatmeal, Protein Bistro Box, and the Hearty Veggie & Brown Rice Salad Bowl. They also have great snacks. I love the freeze-dried mango and any of the flavors of popcorn!
Located across from Gate 7 and 13
Safe travels y’all!
Chelsea Rose Martin