I was pleasantly surprised by the options at LAX’s Terminal 4 Food Court. The eateries keep true to the LA food scene (think food trucks and healthy, vegan food), so you really don’t feel like you’re eating ‘airport food’. I still can’t get over the fact that there’s a food truck INSIDE the food court. Austin’s airport really needs to take note.
There’s something for everyone here: a turkey burger to fulfill your fast food cravings in a healthy manner, Mexican food because you’re in California and it is obligatory and delicious, and vegan fare because maybe this week you are trying to eat less dairy and meat (and gluten because they accommodate that as well). Whatever your fancy, you’ll find it here.
As I have stated in the past, I am in no way a registered dietitian or have any formal education in health. I simply am a gal who enjoys finding lighter but filling, nutritious meals while traveling.
Border Grill Truck
Can’t leave California without some good Mexican food! This eatery is outfitted as a food truck stationed in the food court which is a great ode to the LA food truck scene. They sell singular tacos which is great if you want to mix and match or just get something small.
- Mexican Chopped Salad: Charred corn, roasted peppers, green garbanzos, guacamole, tomato, apple, tortilla chips, cumin vinaigrette ($7.99, add chicken or steak +$2.99)
- Citrus Chicken Taco: Cabbage slaw, chipotle salsa, pickled onions ($3.50)
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Taco: Mexican cheeses, corn relish ($3.50)
8oz Burger Bar
Not too many healthy options come to mind at a place called “8oz Burger Bar”, but hallelujah there’s a turkey burger on the menu! A filling meal packed with protein, good fats, and veggies.
- Turkey Burger: Shelton’s ground turkey, avocado, roasted tomato, Swiss cheese, sprouts. Ask for no bun and a side salad as your side ($12.99
Real Food Daily
The healthy food mecca at LAX Terminal 4. This vegan establishment is great for those with dietary requirements or for those who just want a healthy, well-balanced meal. Plant proteins replace meats, cashew cheese (one of my FAVES) instead of dairy, and lot of vegetables are available. Real Food Daily proves that vegan food does not have to be boring or tasteless!
(Served with choice of roasted potatoes or salad greens with choice of dressing)
- RFD Burrito: Scrambled tofu, roasted potatoes, black beans, tempeh bacon, sauteed peppers and onions, cashew cheese in a whole wheat tortilla with pico de gallo and guacamole ($16.50)
- RFD Sammie: Sprouted-grain English muffin layered sandwich styled with marinated tofu, tempeh bacon, non-dairy swiss cheese, spicy mayo, avocado, tomato ($14.15)
- No-Huevos Rancheros: Scrambled tofu, onions, tomatoes, bell and chili peppers, corn tortillas, ranchero sauce, avocado with black beans and pico de gallo ($14.15)
- Real Food Meal: Brown rice, black beans, steamed kale, daily vegetables, sea vegetables, choice of dressing ($15.70)
- Burrito Bowl: Brown rice, black beans, cashew cheese, tempeh bacon, sauteed onions and peppers, romaine hearts with guacamole, tofu sour cream, pico del gallo ($16.50)
- Make Your Own Basic Bowl: Various options of grains, vegetables, plant proteins, and sauces
(Served with tossed salad greens with choice of dressing)
- RFD Burger: Lentil mushroom burger with caramelized onions, arugula, pickled jalapeno on spicy mayo toasted ciabatta ($16.50) For the works add avocado, tempeh bacon, melted cashew cheese ($18.80)
- Tofu Veggie Wrap: Marinated tofu, caramelized carrots and onions, baby spinach, tomato in peanut dressing on spicy mayo whole wheat tortilla ($15.35)
- The Club: Triple decker sandwich or in a wrap; Crispy seitan, tempeh bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato on vegan mayo toasted sourdough bread ($16.50)
- Spicy BLT: Sandwich or wrap; Tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado on spicy mayo toasted sprouted whole grain bread ($14.15)
Grab & Go
- Suja Essentials Juice: Flavors like Organic Berry Goodness, Organic Berry Nana, Organic Carrot Crush, Organic Green Delight, Organic Sweet Beets, Organic Mango Magic and more ($8.99)
- Coconut Yogurt Parfait: Coconut yogurt, fresh strawberries & blueberries, crunchy granola ($6.29)
- Tofu Veggie Wrap: To-go version ($10.99)
Safe travels y’all!
Chelsea Rose Martin