Happy 2016 y’all!
I don’t know about you but the holidays really took it out of me. I have been going to bed at 9pm every night since Christmas, sleeping in past 7:30am (unusual for me), and just feeling overall not myself. Maybe it’s the cold weather, many prime rib dinners, lots of time off of work, or who knows. It’s a weird season.
I’ve really been trying to get back on a consistent workout and healthy eating grind. I was actually pretty good about keeping up on my workouts during the holidays, but the food not so much. I have had to cut out certain foods from my diet due to stomach pains, and I did NOT keep up with that during the holidays. Cheese, ice cream, and butter were my be friends during my holidays which ain’t in my dietary plan. So onto 2016 we go.
If you’re like me and needing some juice and healthy food in your life and are located in or visiting downtown San Diego, read on. While there are other great restaurants downtown, I decided to pick my favorite fast healthy options. And like always, I listed the walking mileage distance from the San Diego Convention Center for all you business travelers.
Happy healthy eating in 2016 San Diego!
Smoothies, juices, and bowls, oh my! I never realized there was a full blown smoothie & juice shop inside of Nutrition Zone until I went in there to buy protein powder once. Deliciously made to order or check out the to-go refrigerator.
- Green Ingredient: Spinach, dandelion, mango, cucumber, parsley, line, lemon, hemp seed, spirulina ($9.50)
- Lunch Box: Sprouted almond milk, almond butter, strawberry, strawberry, blueberry, banana, dates, chia seed, maca ($8.50)
- Undressed Greens: Kale, romaine, celery, green apple, cucumber, lemon, ginger ($7.75)
All include 3 toppings.. choose between: bee pollen, almond butter, chopped almonds, coconut, local honey, granola, strawberries, mango, goji berries, bananas, pineapple, blueberries
- Classic Acai: Acai, banana, coconut water ($8.50)
- Protein Max: Raw almond, raw almond butter, sprouted almond milk, banana, mejdool dates, choice of protein powder ($9)
650 1st Ave // 0.4 miles walking
Vegan fare in a bright and airy space. LOTS of options here with everything from freshly prepared food to juices and smoothies to grab-and-go items.
- Happy Greens: Leafy greens, parsley, cucumber, celery, apple, lemon, ginger ($7.75)
- The Master: Alkaline water, maple, cayenne, lemon ($7.75)
- Berries ‘n’ Cream: Berries, acai, banana, sprout living vanilla, lucuma protein ($11.95)
- Hunky Monkey: Banana, date, almond butter, house made cacao, syrup, sprout living chocolate maca protein ($11.95)
- Awaken: Grapefruit, mango, pineapple, coconut nectar, cayenne ($9.95)
- Epic Acai Bowl: Organic Acai, gluten free granola, coconut, fruit ($10.95)
- Almond Butter Toast: Sprouted almond butter, banana, coconut nectar drizzle ($8.95)
- Avocado Toast: Avocado, olive oil, chili flakes, toast, side salad ($8.95)
Lunch / Dinner
- Sol Kale Salad: Baby kale, red cabbage, red onion, red bell pepper, garbanzo beans, sprouts, carrot, watermelon radish, seed topper ($10.95)
- Zucchini Noodle Pasta: Your choice of pesto with marinated mushrooms and sundried tomatoes or tuscan with marinated mushrooms, sundried tomatoes and olives ($11.95)
910 J St // 0.5 miles walking
If you’re looking for a good, well-portioned and minimal ingredient meal on the go, Fit Athletic is your place. This is my old gym when I lived in San Diego, and it is the best. What’s even better about it is that they also sell nutritious food of all kinds right in the gym. While I’ll typically grab a Project Juice on the go (their Mint Chip Shake is way too good), I especially love their Fit Natural Foods when you are looking for more of an actual meal. They also sell bars and snacks of all kinds!
- Deep Green: Cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, romaine, lemon, ginger (70 cal)
- Black Magic: Purified water, lemon, raw agave, cayenne, activated coconut charcoal (50 cal)
- D-Tox: Pineapple, young coconut water, mint, green apple, chlorophyll water (100 cal)
- Mint Chip Shake: Raw almonds, purified water, spinach, banana, dates, cacao nibs, vanilla bean, sea salt, mint (280 cal)
- Turmeric Mylk: Raw almonds, purified water, ginger, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, dates, vanilla bean, sea salt (250 cal)
Fit Natural Foods
Breakfast & wraps are $10.53 (with tax), Meals are $11.72 (with tax)
- Egg White Vegetarian Scramble: Scrambled egg white mixed with zucchini, asparagus, tomato & spinach. Served with fresh fruit kabob (165 cal)
- Vegetarian Wrap: Flour tortilla, lettuce, tomato, carrot, mushroom, sliced olives, deli blend sprouts, cucumber, hummus (382 cal)
- Grilled Chicken with Curried Lentils: Lentils, chicken breast, celery, green onion, tomato, red onion, carrots, ginger, salt, pepper, tomato paste, curry powder, lemon, oil, garlic, cilantro (439 cal)
- Ground Turkey & Quinoa Stuffed Pepper: Ground turkey, quinoa, feta cheese, green bell pepper, onion, spices (320 cal)
- Walnut & Flax Seed Chicken with Mashed Cauliflower: Walnut, flax seed, chicken breast, dill, almond milk, coconut milk, salt, pepper, egg, cauliflower (458 cal)
350 10th Ave // 0.5 miles walking
More juice, smoothies and bowls! They provide the caloric information online which is great too.
16oz = $6.45, 24oz = $8.30
- Acai Ginger: Organic Acai, banana, ginger, cinnamon, dates, vanilla, honey, almond milk (320 cal)
- Kale’Oha: Kale, mango, banana, pineapple, chia seeds, agave (285 cal)
- The Triathlete: Avocado, banana, natural peanut butter, dates, spirulina, coconut water (357 cal)
16oz = $6.45, 24oz = $8.30
- Walk of Shame: Spinach, kale, cucumber, celery, ginger, pineapple, coconut water (295 cal)
- Give Me The Beet: Beets, kale, collard greens, apple (295 cal)
Acai & Pitaya Bowls
Small = $5.85, Regular= $7.95
- Green Bowl: Organic Acai blended with kale, banana & almond milk. Topped with organic hemp granola, strawberries, & banana (544 cal)
- Petco: Organic Acai blended with blueberries, natural peanut butter & almond milk. Topped with organic hemp granola, strawberries & banana (541 cal)
- Pretty In Pink: Organic Pitaya blended with banana, blueberries & organic apple juice. Topped with organic hemp granola, strawberries & banana (416 cal)
445 10th Ave // 0.5 miles walking
This grocery store is just simply wonderful. It’s kind of like a Whole Foods with a Sprouts vibe. Everything is made healthy with basically all organic ingredients. There’s a salad bar, prepared cold items by the pound, hot food items, a juice bar, deli, bakery and more. There are also a ton of raw, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options. Plus there’s a full grocery store in case you want more snacks, cereal, produce, etc!
Prepared Food Favorites
- Raw Curry in a Hurry ($9.99/lb)
- Raw Pesto Salad ($11.99/lb)
- Cranberry Kale Salad with Cashew Dressing ($8.99/lb)
Available in 120z & 16oz
- Berry Green Smoothie: Organic banana, organic raspberries, organic strawberries, organic blueberry blend juice, organic spinach, organic kale ($5.95/$6.95)
- Jungle Berry Smoothie: Organic banana, organic apple juice, organic acai, organic strawberries ($4.95/$5.95)
- The Tsunami: Organic banana, organic strawberries, organic mango, organic dates, organic oat bran, bee pollen, organic flax meal, vitamin C, protein powder, organic apple juice ($4.95/$5.95)
- The Fat Burner: Organic mango, organic banana, organic rice milk, protein powder, SafSlim, fat burner supplement ($5.95/$6.95)
- Emerald Bliss: Organic celery base, organic apple , organic spinach, organic kale, organic parsley, organic ginger ($6.95/$7.95)
- Tropical Breakfast Bowl: Organic banana, organic apple juice, Jimbo’s Own organic hemp granola, organic mango, organic pineapple, organic acai, organic agave ($6.95/16oz bowl)
92 Horton Plaza // 0.6 miles walking
In the mood for a fresh salad? Or something warmer like a hot protein plate? Tender Greens is a great fast, healthy concept where you can get made-to-order big salads or pick a protein and get it on a simple salad, sandwich, or with mashed potatoes.
- Seasonal Veggie Frittata: Farm veggies, roasted potatoes, queso fresco, grain toast ($7)
- Power Bowl: Poached egg, avocado, heirloom tomatoes, quinoa, tomatillo salsa, tortilla ($7)
- Sue’s Granola: Seasonal fruit, honey, organic yogurt
- Avocado Toast ($5)
Lunch / Dinner
- Big Salads ($11.50)
- Backyard Steak: Butter lettuce, arugula, radishes, red and gold beets, horseradish vinaigrette (410 cal)
- Harvest: Local fruits & nuts, artisan cheese, Scarborough Farms lettuces, golden balsamic vinaigrette (460 cal)
- Falafel: Little gem lettuce, tomato, cucumber, parsley, red onion, tzatziki, cabernet vinaigrette (260 cal)
- Big Plates ($11.50)
- Salt and Pepper Chicken: White and dark meat, garlic, oregano, thyme (with a simple baby arugula salad is 470 cal)
- Backyard Marinated Steak: Grilled medium rare (with a simple baby spinach salad is 435 cal)
- Herb Brushed Albacore: Grilled rare, sea salt, lemon, olive oil (with a simple tender greens salad is 275 cal)
110 West Broadway // 0.7 miles walking
This Italian restaurant does it right with their market concept alongside their phenomenal restaurant. Grab a protein and a side to go or a healthy prepared salad. Although this is fast, healthy food, the fresh ingredients and high quality food will feel like it was prepared just for you.
- Egg White Wrap: 5 herb pesto, oven roasted tomatoes, feta ($5.95)
- Caramel Apple Oatmeal ($3.95)
- Yogurt Parfait: Banana-almond granola, honey greek yogurt, fresh fruit ($6.50)
- Smoothie Of The Day ($5)
Lunch / Dinner
- Autumn Salad: Butternut squash, apples, pickled baby beets, goat cheese, pumpkin seed brittle, frisee, arugula ($10)
- Vegan Salad: Quinoa, corn, hummus, tomatoes, four beans, lemon vinaigrette ($11)
- Veggie Wrap: Quinoa, hummus, cucumber, roasted peppers, artichokes, arugula, oregano vinaigrette ($7)
- Grilled Chicken ($5) or make it a meal with two sides for $10
- Grilled Salmon ($6) or make it a meal with two sides for $10
- Roasted Cauliflower: Spinach, golden raisins, red onion ($4-$12)
- Brussel Sprouts: With sherry vinaigrette ($5-$15)
- Roasted Veggie Salad: Carrots, turnips, champagne vinaigrette ($4-$12)
1195 Island Ave // 0.7 miles walking
Safe travels y’all!
Chelsea Rose Martin