I think we can all agree that eating healthy while traveling is no easy feat. When I first started my job (which is all travel-based), this was my biggest challenge and the extra pounds came with it. I have since learned hotel room hacks and developed recipes designed to put this issue at ease. Hence the creation of this blog to share my experiences, recipes, and more.
As business travelers, we often are on the go and don’t have time to make an elaborate meal. More times than not we order way too expensive room service or run downstairs to the hotel coffee shop and grab an unhealthy pastry. Even for those of us who think ahead and pack protein bars, we don’t want to eat bars every single morning. Which brings me to my lifesaving, game-changing, hotel-room-made oatmeal recipe.
Oatmeal gets a bad rap sometimes, but it doesn’t have to be boring. A little protein powder, fruit, and cinnamon goes a LONG way. Now if you’re really prepared and pack even more toppings (unsweetened shredded coconut, chopped pecans, and oh so much more), then heck you just became a master oatmeal chef.
The best part? All of this can be done with no makeup on in the comfort of your pajamas while watching The Today Show and answering emails in bed. Yes, you can make this heaping, warm bowl (or disposable coffee cup rather) full of happiness right from your hotel room! Healthy comfort food at its finest.
Here’s what you’ll need….
Gluten-free old fashioned or rolled oats, banana, plant protein powder, stevia packets, cinnamon, fresh or freeze dried berries, almond milk (optional), water, an in-room coffee maker, disposable coffee cup, & a spoon.
Pour about 1/3 of your disposable coffee cup full of water into your in-room coffee maker to create hot water for your oats.
Once your water is heated, add your oats. I have recently been traveling with pre-portioned bags of gluten-free old fashioned or rolled oats and have also experimented adding some steel cut oats in there. The steel cut oats don’t cook as well because you really should cook these on the stove, but if mixed in with the old fashioned or rolled oats they tend to work out okay.
THE FLAVOR GAME CHANGER. This is the reason your oatmeal will taste mind-blowing, amazingly, good. Your oatmeal just became no longer oatmeal. It is now a rich, creamy, flavorful, creation that some could even say resembles a dessert yet is low in calories and full of nutritional value. How is this even possible?! Well it is.
Add your toppings, take a picture because it will be pretty, and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup gluten-free old fashioned or rolled oats
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3 cup fresh berries (raid those hotel buffets!) or freeze-dried berries (easy to pack & non-perishable)
- 1/2 pack Vega One All-In-One Nutritional Shake in flavors like French Vanilla, Vanilla Chai, Chocolate, Mixed Berry, & Mocha
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stevia packet
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cacao powder (optional)
- Optional toppings: chopped pecans, sliced almonds, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, unsweetened coconut, almond butter, almond milk
- Heat about 1/3 of your disposable coffee cup full of water in your in-room coffee maker (make sure to not have a coffee filter in!)
- Add the oats and let sit for a couple minutes.
- Add your protein powder, cinnamon, stevia packet, and unsweetened cocoa powder. Stir thoroughly. Optional: add almond milk as desired to make the powders you’ve added a bit creamier.
- Chop up your banana and berries and add on top.
- Enjoy with any additional toppings you may fancy! I’m personally loving chopped pecans and unsweetened coconut.
Safe travels y’all!