You might typically associate Miami with staying out until 4am, mojitos, and Cubano sandwiches. At least I did. Until I became lactose intolerant and went to Miami on a work trip. NOT the same as my girl’s weekend trip there last summer, that is for sure.
This trip was filled with early nights in (when I wasn’t working an event), being up ready for work at the hour that people were just getting home, and swapping the cocktails for fresh pressed juices. Needless to say, this girl needed some healthy options, stat.
In my short time in Miami, I found a few essential healthy spots to cure those hangover blues or fuel you business travelers. Buon appetito!
This bright, cheerful spot lives up to its name, and the food does not disappoint. The menu is so good, it was hard to choose! Sunny’s does however have the best veggie burger of my ENTIRE LIFE made out of the pulp from their freshly squeezed juices and farro… it is not to be missed!
What to order:
- Avocado Toast: Multi nut bread, avocado, chili flakes, sea salt, olive oil ($9 – served at breakfast)
- The Ray Finkle – Kick Start Your Day Bowl: Acai blended with frozen strawberry, banana, and fresh kale topped with fresh banana, strawberry, blueberry, hemp seeds, cacao nibs, chia seeds, granola + maple syrup ($12)
- The Pulp Fiction Veggie Burger: Sunny’s juice bar pulp, farro, Swiss cheese, arugula, radish, pickled onions, avocado + cilantro crema on a brioche bun / I got no bun or cheese ($14)
- Head High Poke Bowl: Line-caught skipjack tuna, Maui onion, shaved asparagus, toasted sesame, puffed rice ($16)
- Pineapple Express Juice: Pineapple, kale, cucumber, cilantro, jalapeno ($12 – add tequila, vodka or gin for +$6!)
1500 Collins Avenue, Miami, FL 33139
Yesss, my obsession while I was in Miami! This is another spot where you want to order everything on the menu, and I’m pretty sure I got very close to accomplishing just that. The juices, smoothies and bowls are made fresh although there is also a to-go fridge available for those on the run. The ingredients are nutritious yet flavorful, and everything I tried was incredible.
What to order:
- Limonada Negra Juice: H2O, palm nectar, lemon, activated charcoal, stinging nettle ($9)
- Happy Kale Belly Smoothie: Probiotic coconut yogurt, almond mylk, kale, banana, blueberry, ginger, mint, honey ($13)
- Sana De Rana Bowl: Almond mylk, banana, apple, coconut meat, almond butter, tocotrienol, spirulina, maca, mesquite, chlorella, raw honey, crunchy superberry coconut cashew topping, bee pollen ($13)
- Chia Seed Parfait: Chia seeds, water, vanilla extract, coconut palm nectar, cashews, lemon juice, coconut oil with assorted toppings ($7)
1020 Alton Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139 | Whole Foods Downtown, 299 SE 3rd Ave, Miami, FL 33131
This plant based organic cafe serves up appetizing dishes that wont have you missing the meat. I’m not sure why vegan food gets a bad rap because this food is good and full of flavor. I could seriously list everything on their menu below, but I will stick to a few good staples.
What to order:
- Green Noni Sweet Bowl: Spirulina, noni, pineapple, banana, coconut water, seasonal fruit, hemp hearts, Manna granola ($9)
- Red Quinoa Bowl: Red quinoa, raw falafel, mixed greens, red pepper hummus, acai pickles, acai vinaigrette ($11)
- Avocado Superfood Arepa: Avocado, spirulina chimichurri + hemp hearts on organic corn, chia & golden flax seeds, sea salt and coconut oil arepa ($8)
- Tofu Norito: Baked tofu, edamame, bell pepper, carrots, spinach, coconut brown rice, pad Thai dressing served in a healthy nori wrap ($9)
- Nana Ice Cream: Banana cream, peanut brittle, cacao nibs, cacao maca fudge ($5.50)
- Any of their juices, smoothies, cookies, & muffins (see menu —> here)
80 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33132
Photo via Whole Foods
Whatever I’ll admit it, I spend way too much time at Whole Foods and Miami was no exception. It is just TOO good. I was able to pick up my grocery staples here for my hotel room, grab some health-ified plantains and other Miami fare on the hot buffet, and my tummy was a happy camper. I went to both the locations in Downtown/Brickell and South Beach a few times each. Yep, no shame but seriously if you’re looking for a place to grab some skinny cocktail mixers (I love using kombucha and fresh pressed juices!) or a snack, just lean on your trusty Whole Foods like me.
What to order:
- Kombucha, fresh lemons & limes, and cold pressed juice for cocktail mixers
- Bars for a snack or quick breakfast (I like Squarebar, 22 days, Vega One, and Perfect)
- Plantains from the hot food bar… because you’re in Miami
1020 Alton Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139 | 299 SE 3rd Ave, Miami, FL 33131
Safe travels y’all!